Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Must-See TV: The Open Road: America Looks At Aging

As you may be able to tell reading my blog, I'm a pretty cynical, bitter person. Not much gives me hope about this country, or about this world. This show gives me hope.

I came across this show tonight - "The Open Road: America Looks At Aging" - and, unfortunately, I don't have any upcoming listings for you, but keep an eye out for it.

It brings up a big point - perhaps THE big point - of what's going to happen in the next 10-15 years, which is the fact that 70 million baby boomers are going to hit retirement age. And these people are not going to be happy with what has been traditionally held up as 'retirement.' These people - most of the 70 million - are going to be bored out of their fucking skulls!

I'm thinking that "non-profit" is where the profit is going to be - know what I'm sayin? This society is going to have a lot of really bored people on their hands just itching to volunteer in a big way. I think, honestly, that the babyboom generation's opportunity to really do good things in the world is
still to come.

And, fool that I am, that gives me hope.

No comments: