Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sixties Sickness

Mackenzie Phillips' recent bombshell that her father - Mama's and Papa's singer John Phillips - was a sick, twisted freak surprised few people. It was well known that he had pushed his own daughter into drug abuse at a very early age. But the details of the depth of this man's sickness and evil is a shock to the system to be sure.

In an interview with Oprah Winfrey that aired Wednesday, Mackenzie Phillips said that she was raped by her father while still a teenager.

"I woke up that night from a blackout and found myself having sex with my own father," Phillips read aloud from her book, "High on Arrival," during the hour-long interview with Winfrey.


"I came out of that blackout and realized what was happening. ... I slid right back into it and woke up the next morning in my own hotel room and not with him," she continued to read. "Your father is supposed to protect you, not [expletive] you."


Phillips, now 49, said she was 17 or 18 the first time she can remember having sex with her father.

When she confronted him and told him they needed to talk about how he raped her, Phillips said, he responded with confusion.


" 'Raped you? Don't you mean when we made love?' " she told Winfrey. "I thought, wow, I'm really on my own here."


Mackenzie Phillips had a very long and very public struggle with drugs following her stint on the TV show "One Day at a Time." It's only now we're seeing the hell she went through.

When I entered drug rehab for my own troubles seven years ago, our support group was joined briefly by the daughter of another famous 1960's Bay Area rock musician (I won't say which one). I thought it incredible that this girl's father - a multi-multi-millionaire - would not assist his own daughter and force her to run the clinic gauntlet like us normal schmoes. She lasted about a month before leaving the group.

As a former drug addict, I've seen the good and the bad of it. I've seen firsthand how drugs can fuel your sickest fantasies and serve as a "conscience suppressant." Nobody told me I was God while I was an addict; if they had, I might still be one. Or dead.

Hippies suck.



more:


John Phillips: A Lifetime of Debauched and Reckless Behavior

No comments: